Wednesday, April 23, 2008

There will be blood

I paid $3.99 a gallon the other day....Four bucks a gallon, to drive on pitted and pot-holed roads. Everyone is ranting about the sky-high price of gas, especially those enormous SUV drivers(THe SUV's, not the drivers...are enormous...oh nevermind).
Anyway, it reminds me of when I was kid traveling the western U.S. with my dad in his motorhome....It was just after the Iranian Hostage crises and we were flabbergasted at the idea of .80 a gallon gas....Where would it end we thought!

A better question is "Why?" Why in the name of Buddah are we paying more than twice what we paid less than five years ago while Exxon is posting record-breaking profits?
I always hear the same sob stories from the Oil companies, they usually go like this:
"There hasn't been a new refinery built in the U.S. in 30 years...California has stringent environmental laws requiring us to reformulate gas...The Summer Driving Season(!)...Refineries are being repaired...Hurricane Katrina/Rita...If only we could drill in the ANWR/Grand Canyon/Yosemite...blah,blah,blah..count the money,count the money.."

I found a couple of intersting articles via Digg...you be the judge:
  • Articel 1
  • Article2

    Good luck...I'm buying a Tesla

    PS As luck would have it, NOVA had on a special last night entitled Car of the future. Provided a good overview on the challenges we face...and best of all, it was hosted by Tom and Ray Magliozzi,the Car Talk guys!
  • 2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I remember being a kid during the First Oil Crisis in the 1970s. Lines at the gas pumps and... NASCAR racing on TV. I remember, uncomprehending, asking grownups, "Why are they wasting all that gas driving around in circles?" I still wonder about that.

    St. Frank said...

    Yeah, I remember the Odd and Even days for getting gas...and I never liked NASCAR...I'm more of a Rally Racing fan. Driving in circles...meh.