Sunday, June 03, 2007

Das Leben der Anderen

I hate to play up a movie too much, for fear will imbue someone with such high expectations that upon seeing the film they are disappointed. Well, I'm going to take a chance here and tell you to see The Lives of Others(Das Leben der Anderen).

I will warn you not to read too much of the description above. I find that the less I know of a movie before going in, the more enjoyable it is...maybe that's just me.

At any rate, it's a very well made film and manages to transport you back in to East Berlin circa 1984. My wife and I both jumped and glanced at each other knowingly when one of the characters entered a corner bar in East Berlin. It was uncanny how it captured the same look and feel of a bar we had accidentally stumbled upon while lost on the other side of the wall a year before it came crashing down.

So check out he film and let me know what you think. It still haunts me days after seeing it.

No comments: